Symposia and Conferences
- Open Doors Conference Series (formerly Careers Outside the Academy).
- The James F. Jakobsen Memorial Conference (Graduate College).
- Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition
- Craft Critique Culture (Humanities)
Research and Travel Funding
- GPSG Research and Travel Grants
- GSS Travel Funds (Graduate College)
- Don't forget to check with your program or department for internal funding opportunities!
- External Grants and Fellowships
Graduate Student Success Office
The University of Iowa’s Graduate College offers support and services that enhance graduate student success at Iowa. The Graduate College’s Grad Success office offers popular professional development services for groups or individuals including: career development (career exploration, job materials, network building), national fellowships support (fellowships communities and individual assistance), and teaching support through the Center for the Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL). The Graduate Success office runs the 3 Minute Thesis Competition (3MT), a research communication competition, and Open Doors events, offering free career education and networking for PhDs and Iowa PhD alumni.
The Office of Academic Affairs offers grad students support for thesis and dissertation formatting and help with guidelines, rules, and regulations.
The Office of Graduate Inclusion offers support and community events for students from backgrounds underrepresented in the academy.
With several locations across campus specializing in tutoring specific populations and disciplines, at the writing center, writing fellows assist students and faculty at all levels, from introductory rhetoric to grant proposals and research manuscripts.
The Speaking Center specializes in public speaking and presentations.
The Conversation Center is a wonderful resource for students learning another language, especially international and ESL students.